Asbestos & hazardous materials
After 30 years in the industry, we are a leader in managing asbestos, hazardous materials or substances, dangerous goods, and compliance auditing for your workplace health and safety requirements.
In situ asbestos and hazardous materials can create risk around exposure to airborne contaminants and there are a range of legislative requirements which safeguard against this.
Complying to these and achieving the required standards of work health and safety for your employees, contractors and the community is the basis of managing your obligations as a duty holder.
Duty holders including a ‘person conducting a business or undertaking’ (PCBU), property owners/managers and/or building occupiers are required to ensure that asbestos risks are effectively controlled to eliminate exposure to workers and anyone entering the workplace.
Coffey can assist our clients in developing a range of systems and risk control strategies to meet compliance requirements. We can advise you on current legislation and identify the hazards on your site.
You’ll receive timely and accurate information on the location, levels, and how to deal with asbestos, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCB’s), lead in paint and dust, synthetic mineral fibres (SMF) and other hazardous materials.
Asbestos and hazardous materials consulting services
When it comes to dealing with asbestos, you need professional hazardous materials consultants to ensure you understand the risks and have the right processes in place from the start. By taking a proactive approach and surveying your building, you can prevent discoveries by untrained workers. This approach can also help you to avoid expensive health and safety problems, unplanned delays and penalties.
We can assist you in developing a range of systems and risk control strategies to meet compliance requirements. Our team of experienced consultants can help you reduce your exposure to hazardous materials in the workplace. Coffey was the first in Australia to become NATA accredited to ISO17020 for conducting hazardous materials surveys and preparing hazardous materials management plans. Today we hold two accreditations for work in Australia: surveying, management plans and clearances; and air monitoring and fibre counting.
This means we are externally audited by industry experts. Our methodologies and procedures are up to date, valid and in line with best industry practice.
Accredited testing laboratories
Coffey currently hold ISO17025 NATA accreditation for testing laboratories in New South Wales, Victoria and Western Australia. Our labs provide rapid, decisive response to urgent situations so that your risk mitigation strategies can meet expectations. We have capacity to mobilise remote site-specific laboratories to undertake on site analysis to ensure instant turnaround of air monitoring results to maximize efficiency and meet project timeframes.
You can be sure of our testing quality and accuracy. We are third part certified by NATA Certification Services International (NCSI) for AS/NZS ISO9001:2008 Quality Management System.
Coffey’s services include:
- NATA accredited Asbestos and Hazardous Materials Audits and Risk Assessments
- Review and maintain the asbestos registers prior to and post any demolition/refurbishment work or the material condition changes
- Assist our clients to engage licensed asbestos removal contractors to conduct asbestos removal works
- Development of NATA accredited Asbestos and Hazardous Materials Registers and Management Plans
- NATA accredited Clearances and Air Monitoring
- Compliance and performance auditing
- Conduct Asbestos awareness training and facilitation
- Asbestos and Hazardous Materials Abatement Project Management and oversight
- Development of Asbestos and Hazardous Materials removal specification reports
Laboratory asbestos analysis and monitoring
- Coffey laboratory services are accredited with the world recognised NATA Accreditation to:
- Perform fibre counting
- Report on findings under the authority of a NATA accredited laboratory
- Set up an onsite laboratory on major projects